[meteorite-list] iron meteorite cooling rates and Meteorite Men

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:01:19 -0800

Magmatic iron meteorites (including the large IIIAB group) are thought to
have formed by fractional crystallization within the cores of differentiated
asteroids, layered by silicate mantles. Asteroidal collisions can eventually
expose the cores (which in many or most cases have already crystallized) and
send some of the pieces on their way to the inner solar system. Nonmagmatic
irons (such as IAB) are more controversial. Some think that they also
formed in cores; others that they formed as metal melt pools at the bottoms
of impact craters on chondritic asteroids.

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567