[meteorite-list] iron meteorite cooling rates and Meteorite Men

From: Richard Montgomery <rickmont_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:47:46 -0800

Hi List. (ot a chemist, me, just a collector, not ametorologist, just a
passionate meteorite guy.

This is mostly a question from Allan's post just now: I was always under
the impression that iron meteorites resulted from colliding differentiated
parent-bodies, and that the crystallization sequence was achieved after an
impact that exposed a core, molten NiFe suddenly ejected into space without
the shield of its former silicate mantle. Am I way off base? Does Thompson
structure develope within?