[meteorite-list] iron meteorite cooling rates and Meteorite Men

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:55:33 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Dr. Rubin said " ...the narrator was attempting to explain that the Widmanstatten pattern is caused by..."

And, of course, Dr, Rubin's very succinct correcting explanation is, by the standards of today's media, three paragraphs too long.

The time and space requirements of electronic and print media prevent intelligible descriptions of scientific processes. How many times have we seen, or heard, ridiculous and missleading accounts made by reporters and pundits based on their refusal to use sweat equity to get some facts straight? I found this only to true whilst trying to describe the physical reasons for an airplane to have had a stall/spin crash to a reporter for a local television station. The story came out that the plane's "motor" had stalled and stopped the plane in midair causing it to fall to the ground. I had said nothing of the kind.

There was a time when major media employed experts in the sciences, so that what was published had some veracity. Now, restraints in time and money and a "what the hell...this stuff is too complicated attitude." leave the public in their ignorance.

Happy Holidays to all...and thank you Dr. Rubin.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536