[meteorite-list] Off topic- the weather IS getting worse + On topic Geminid pic

From: John Hendry <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:56:05 -0700

Carl,

Don't jinx this! We just got here from Manitoba on Friday and are
thoroughly enjoying the 100 degree leap in our ambient temperatures. It is
perfect.

We're on a resort in Apache Junction and I took the mutts out to the
dogpark around 9pm last night and set up the camera with a wide-angle
trained to the east. Loosed off half a dozen 2 minute exposures and never
caught anything. I had long exposure noise reduction turned on so there
was an equal amount of time between shots while the camera collected noise
data from the sensor to subtract from the frame information. Over about 30
minutes I didn't see any meteors. However the place is lit with numerous
sodium lamps and the scatter and flare in the sky was awfully strong.
Would have thought to have caught something as cloud cover was whispy and
minimal and you could see the majority of the bright stars just fine.
Called it a night, but got up at six and this time headed to the ball
diamond away from the lights as best I could. Sky was still pretty clear
with some patchy haze. Saw one bright one dropping vertically in the east
as I was setting up and got about 6 frames off before the dawn got the
better of the heavens. Over about 30 minutes I saw about 5, most of them
appearing roughly to the south. Only managed to get one in frame...

http://pict.co.uk/geminid.jpg

(typically all the rest decided to pop into view as the camera was doing
its noise reduction thing).

In comparison to some of the astrophotography out there, this is
extraordinarily lame, but I'm quite please I got something at my first
attempt.

Image is looking roughly south with the camera axis elevated to about 75
degrees from horizontal. Angle of view is around 100 degrees diagonally.

Is the temporal distribution of these things completely random or do they
tend to arrive in 'clumps' or with relatively constant intervals between
them? I don't think I was seeing enough to get a feel for this.

Regards,
John