[meteorite-list] Aurora Borealis last night (was: Geminid MeteorShower Count)

From: Linton Rohr <lintonius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:10:53 -0800

Thanks for posting that, Bernd.
That explains a sighting I experienced in southern Illinois around that
date.
I stepped outside for some fresh air after a late night band rehearsal and
for a moment thought that the sunset was still lingering. Then I realized it
was well after midnight. There were large, shifting areas of pink and
purplish colors, rather than the green which is apparently more common. That
was the only time I've ever seen the aurora, but I'd sure like to get up to
Alaska and take in some more. I still haven't seen a total solar eclipse
either. One of these days...
Linton