[meteorite-list] Dawn Journal - November 30, 2010 stupid question

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:58:14 -0800 (PST)

Thankyou for your explaination! In a future mission energy can be added to the probe with lasers masers or any other high energy beam to reduce the amount of hydrazine needed and allow craft to gain energy in areas far from the sun . It would be cheaper to beam it up after launch rather than launch the energy up. I would still like to see NASA or the ESA launch a small bussard ram jet using the hydrogen near the sun as fuel to try to reach near light speed . Every approach of the sun in the right orbit would speed it up by gravity and then use the ions collected near the sun to speed it up even more. It could be done with a small relatively inexpensive probe. The first country to achieve light speed would be similar to the first man on the moon! CHEERS Steve