[meteorite-list] Best Type of Light

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:21:21 -0800 (PST)

A very complex question actually, but for this purpose we can use a simple solution. If you are using digital, any lights can be used as long as they are all of the same type and color temperature. You then adjust the white balance in post processing.

I am using CFLs and they work great.

If you set up your lighting first and even if you want to use a colored background, insert a white, black or gray card where your meteorites will be posed Take an image of that card and then insert you preferred background. Shoot all of your rocks.

When you process, get the proper white balance off of the card you shot first and then use that WB correction for all of your successive images. As long as your lighting setup isn't changed, the WB will be correct for all of the images.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography