[meteorite-list] NWA meteorites, TO BE OR NOT TO BE?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:57:51 -0400

Hi Shawn and List,

I am a proponent of NWA meteorites and private involvement in hunting
for meteorites, and by extension also for laypeople collecting
meteorites.

But, I don't think anyone would say that the current methodology for
removing these NWA meteorites is perfect. The current situation is
far from ideal for science for the standpoint of find coordinates and
mapping strewnfields. Frankly, it's a mess. Which is exactly why
NonCom instituted the NWA catalogue system. The NWA system is meant
to provide some kind of order to a very disorderly deluge of
meteorites. Once the meteorites are catalogued, the scientists can
study them until the proverbial cows come home, and slowly these NWA
meteorites become paired and a more cohert picture of their Earthly
lineage begins to emerge. But the same chaos that makes the NWA
system necessary is also a boon to science because this flood of
material has yielded an unprecedented bounty of planetaries,
achondrites, and rare types for institutions, universities and
museums. The majority of these institutions have never once sent a
team into the deserts of NWA to hunt for meteorites. Beyond the
mandated 20/20 type specimens, many scientists and museums have
benefited from the generous donations of material by private
individuals. So, no matter how pessimistic a person wants to be about
the NWA meteorite situation, there is no denying that it has been
beneficial to everyone involved.

Ideally, every nomad and hunter would carry a GPS and log the
coordinates of their finds for later submission to the Meteoritical
Society. But this is not a realistic expectation given scarcity of
electricity in the desert. As anyone who has spent extended periods
in the desert will tell you, heat is not good for batteries. Devices
that rely on batteries don't last as long in the desert and good luck
finding a place to plug it in to charge the battery. Until some
insane philanthropist donates 1000 solar-powered GPS units to the
nomads, we cannot reasonably expect them to provide accurate find
coordinates. (Perhaps some low-tech methods like the ancient mariners
used?)

As collectors, those of us who have enjoyed the bounty of Saharan gold
rush are doubly blessed because the timing of this bounty coincided
with the rise of the internet. When those two things converged,
collection cabinets around the world swelled - for everyone.

All of this would be a moot argument if there were teams of scientists
tripping over each other in the desert looking for meteorites and
private poachers were pilfering specimens from strewnfields the teams
were mapping. But the vast majority of NWA meteorites would still be
sitting in the desert if not for nomads bringing them out or private
hunters locating them. These meteorites would be covered over by the
marching dunes or completely terrestrialized over time. Sure, they
would still be preserved for future generations of scientists to
possibly find (or not find), but our current generation would never
know them, and any benefits gained from their study would not be
realized in our time.

I am glad for NWA meteorites and thankful to the Moroccans for their
efforts to bring these meteorites to the open market. What happens
from that point onward is up to the dealers and collectors who will be
their temporary caretakers - and it is up to us to treat the
meteorites with respect and honor the science by putting knowledge
before profit.

Best regards,

MikeG

http://www.galactic-stone.com