[meteorite-list] Any irons/stony-irons linked to known stones?

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:19:24 -0700

Most folks believe that the chondrites are from undifferentiated, unmelted
asteroids. Hence, they would not be expected to have iron cores. That
said, those researchers who believe that asteroids are heated internally
(the majority), by the decay of short-lived radionuclides like Al-26, aver
that the interiors of asteroids are highly metamorphosed. Some might
suggest that the deep interiors were partially melted. If asteroids were
heated mainly be collisions (a minority viewpoint that I share), then the
interiors wouldn't be expected to be appreciably hotter than the surfaces
and the asteroids would remain undifferentiated.

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
405 Hilgard Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567
phone: 310-825-3202