[meteorite-list] [IMCA] Elections and my status

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:44:35 -0400

Hi Count, Greg and List,

As a non-member but avid meteorite-freak, here is my two centavos -

I agree with what the Count says about the IMCA's stated purpose.
There is clearly little or no mention of the IMCA being an activist
group to promote an agenda.

But, I can also understand what Greg is saying and I think Greg's
ideas are well worth considering. A long time ago, when I tried to
start up the "Meteorite Working Group", my intention was to fill a
void in the meteorite scene that the IMCA and the Meteoritical Society
do not address - that is public outreach, educational work, and
working to defend the legal status of meteorites. This last aspect is
taking on more importance now that the government has seen dollar
signs and wants to crack down on meteorite hunting in the US. None of
us want to see America become another Australia when it comes to
meteorites. And unless somebody or some group steps up to the plate
to defend the interests of the collector community, we run the risk of
having a biased group of collector-hating scientists and greedy
bureaucrats hijack the direction of the collecting community. Other
professions, businesses and communities have lobby groups to defend
their interests and it seems that meteorites lacks this. Something
needs to be done in this regard. It may not be the IMCA's stated
purpose to do this kind of thing, but when someone stepped up to try
(me and the Working Group), I was either ignored by the community or
attacked for it. So if not the IMCA, then who?

What's more, there is no place on the web for an eager newbie or for
an educator to visit and receive free outreach materials or
educational materials about meteorites. Sure, one can search Google
or email certain members of the community (including the IMCA) and
receive help, but IMO there should be a centralized watering-hole that
is open to the public where these goals can be met. It wouldn't
require a lot of money or work to put up a simple website and have
some files available for viewing or download.

Both of these things (advocating and outreach) would greatly enhance
the image and standing of the IMCA and the meteorite community as a
whole.

I know I sound like Greg's cheerleader lately, but I think Greg has
some good ideas here that are worth considering and implementing.

Best regards,

MikeG

http://www.galactic-stone.com
http://www.facebook.com/galacticstone