[meteorite-list] The storm and Lucerne Dry Lake

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:46:11 -0400

Hi Ron,

I should have know better since I live in Nevada. I have seen many
flash floods before. But as you know the allure of a new lake bed
seemed to have blinded me temporarily. A good lesson learned. My wife
and have seen those little crablike creatures before in sandstone water
basins in Red Rock Canyon. It is amazing how these little tanks can be
bone dry for years and then come to life with a little water.

>Warning: Small children should stay away from the large cracks in the
dl. This is the time that there is a lot of underground water draining
away and the dry lake surface can cave in quite readily.?

Two lakes in particular one in California and one in Nevada have
sinkholes that are only visible when you come right up on top of them
or can be seen from the air. The only indication in the one in
California was a tiny raised edge and a crack or crevice on the far
side. The sink hole was large enough to swallow an ATV. I never got
close enough to determine the depth. I told my hunting partner we could
figure out the depth and check out the sink hole if I lowered him
down with a winch but he chickened out! : )

This is a good lesson for anyone who hunts on dry lake beds. Watch the
clouds, watch for sinkholes, cracks and the occasional artillery shell.

Sonny