[meteorite-list] Irons from Vesta?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 07:48:06 -0700 (PDT)

An bit of an interesting article on Space.com come about Dawn arriving at Vesta entitled "NASA Gears Up for Big Asteroid Encounter"

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/nasa-vesta-asteroid-dawn-mission-100824.html

What caught my eye was in the comments section where montylc2001 wrote: posted:

 "my prediction: we will find that Vesta has been shattered by an impact. The "mountain" inside the large crater at the south pole is actually Vesta's exposed iron core, Vesta will be tagged as the source for the rare iron/nickel meteorites that fall to Earth....."

No doubt this has already been proposed, but anyone care to agree or disagree?

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography