[meteorite-list] FW: Magnet canes are evil

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 15:36:09 -0700 (PDT)

Dennis,
I have found?tiny glass spherules in some areas along the tracks - lots of
them.? I think it's welding slag from RR operations.? I was pretty excited until
someone suggested it (I never had them tested, but?hard to believe folks would
overlook something significant until me...).?

Nothing as big as you mention (other than the marbles we occasionally
find).???In other places I?have found weathered obsidian which often has a
tektite texture (though not the same).? I think it's caused by solution
weathering.

I have a magnet cane, but I never used it to pick up a meteorite.? It's just a
fashion statement I guess (peer pressure).? ;-)

Mark B.
Vail, AZ