[meteorite-list] Search for first U.S. lunar meteorite

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:37:48 +0100

Yes it's got to be a massive factor in skewing the statistics, plus some
lunars from first glance look like some of the native rocks of the USA
and Europe which won't help. Factor all this in and it's the reason we
haven't found any yet, statistically 3 or 4 USA lunar finds is quite
easy to account for not being found.

Remember Antarctica meteorites are often found visually rather than by
'magnet snap' this could maybe explain the reason there are more lunars
found up there.

>. Most newbie hunters ignore anything that doesn't stick to
a magnet. I wonder how many lunars have been passed over in favor of
an ugly, weathered OC? LOL

yes very true, but I also even wonder how many O'C's have been passed
over that didn't stick to the cane (many small ones or LL types don't
immediately stick to a small magnet!).

if in doubt pick it up and bring it home I guess!

Mark