[meteorite-list] Iron meteorite inclusion question

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:07:54 -0700 (PDT)

Yinan, Mike,

I had a slice of Odessa years back that I had etched with Ferric Chloride and the process turned to otherwise "brassy" looking Troilite nodules a dark gray to almost black color. The Schreibersite remained nice and sparkly. I had the specimen re-etched with nitric and got my nice brassy look back again.

From what I understand you can get around this by "painting" the troilite inclusions with a clear lacquer before etching with ferric and then remove the lacquer with acetone or some such solvent afterwards.

Best,
Steve
Steve Witt