[meteorite-list] For the record - I do not buy unsolicitedmeteorites from unknown sellers

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:09:57 -0400

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the kind words. I try to be a nice guy, but some people
definitely would argue that point. If you go back through the
archives, you will see that I have stuck my foot into my considerable
mouth many times and I pissed off some people in the process. I'm not
proud of it, but I have tried to learn from it. Like anything else,
it's impossible to please everyone under the best of circumstances,
and I have rubbed a few people the wrong way. That is why I posted a
follow-up clarification to my initial posting - to avoid pissing off
more people with my "wisdom"..... ;)

You are good guy Barry, and anyone who has dealt with you will attest
to the fact that you have been genuinely bitten by the meteorite bug
and you are developing a real passion for it. Nurture that passion
and you will do just fine in meteorites. When I first started out, I
didn't know a chondrite from a bowling ball. My friendly advice would
be to read everything about meteorites that you can get your hands on.
 Start out with Rocks from Space by the late-great O. Richard Norton.
Then move on to the Encyclopedia of Meteorites. Lastly, read Cosmic
Debris by Burke. Rocks from Space will give you the basics. The
Encyclopedia will expand those basics and give you some great photos.
And Cosmic Debris will give you a solid background in the history of
meteorites, meteoritics, and the famous names in the field. Also,
join the Meteoritical Society and get a subscription to the MAPS
journal. The MAPS journal is absolutely indispensable for getting a
deeper education on meteoritics. Also, get a subscription to
Meteorite Magazine and read the online Meteorite Times every month.
If you do these things, you will develop a good working knowledge of
meteorites. You have already joined this list, which is a good thing
- when the list behaves itself. LOL

Of course, there are a bunch of other good meteorite books, including
the definitive works by Nininger. If you can afford them, track down
Nininger's works. And if you can afford the $250 hit, get a copy of
Grady's Catalogue of Meteorites.

And lest I forget, read Kevin Kichinka's "The Art of Collecting
Meteorites" - it provides a great window into the world of collecting.

And stay away from those Chinese eBay "siderolites"..... ;)

Best regards,

MikeG

http://www.galactic-stone.com
http://www.facebook.com/galacticstone