[meteorite-list] 1993/94 Perseids---The Night of Lights!!

From: Becky and Kirk <bandk_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:53:30 -0500

Hi All,
I remember the ULTIMATE barrage of Perseids in 1993 I believe, or was it
1994----wayyy up North at the boundary waters in Canada. We four guys got
back from some night fishing and got set-up to watch the show.

The skies were just crystal clear and black as any night I have ever seen!
It was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen---indeed it was "The
Night of Lights."

Because we were so tired from a day of paddling, portaging and fishing
though, we only watched for a little over an hour, and believe me, it was no
more that 70-75 minutes MAX. In that time though, we counted over 125
confirmed meteors.

At one point early on we were seeing 1 meteor every 10 seconds!!! So----if
you compute 125 meteors in 70 minutes time, that is like 100 meteors per
hour!! We saw many that left incredible trails too! This was seen by ALL 4
of us too---so it for sure can be corroborated!! It was just amazing! I'm
not sure if we can ever top that again!!

Best,