[meteorite-list] bulk density testing

From: Michael Murray <mikebevmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:56:25 -0600

Hi List,
I want to be sure that I'm fully understanding the correct method to
perform bulk density tests. I'm attempting to follow the steps in the
Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites. If someone would check me on
this I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is what I have been doing...I'm using a Palmscale 8.0. I'm
weighing the specimen on the gram scale, then placing my little vial
of water on there and after zeroing, I place the suspended specimen
down in the water being sure not to touch the bottom. Using those two
figures, I have been dividing the specimen's weight by the weight of
the specimen suspended in the water. My most recent test gave me a
1.3g weight on the specimen by itself. Then a suspended weight of .
3. If I figured it correctly with my division, that gives me a 4.33
bulk density. The little specimen was not porous. Using this same
procedure, I tested a different specimen, not related, and came up
with a 4.555 result for it. Comparing those weights to meteorite
densities in the chart in the Field Guide, the results indicate stony
irons.

It seems simple enough. Am I close?

Mike in CO