[meteorite-list] Collector's are Nuts!

From: Chris Spratt <cspratt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:51:42 -0700

Dear List:

Ed Majden (on this list) saw my collection in 1988 (not 1987) when the
ASP, AAA and RASC held a joint meeting in the summer at the University
of Victoria. John Dobson was also here and showed us his "Dobsonian"
telescope. At that time there weren't the number of meteorite collectors
as there are now, so the specimens I had on display were of great interest
to all. (Probably got a couple of others including Ed interested in
collecting.)

Some of the meteorites I displayed were on loan from the Geological
Survey's National Meteorite Collection, courtesy of Peter Millman and
Ian Halliday, who brought some Canadian specimens for me to show. I had
to send those specimens back. SIGH! So, after collecting meteroites and
tektites, for nearly 20 years, in late 2001, I "donated" the collection
to the National Collection because according to the Canadian Government
and the Geological Survey scientists, the University of Victoria didn't
have a proper facility for curating such a large meteorite collection
and it wouldn't be approved for many years if ever. This was all
government red tape I hadn't anticipated. At the time when I approached
them first, the University was interested but without proper curating
approval (which they weren't interested in obtaining at that time if
ever ) subsequentally dropped out of the running. All I wanted from
them (UVic) , at that time, was an honorary degree. (I felt with my
amateur astronomy skills, that I was at least deserving of that. Had a
really big ego then!) No go there either.

After about 2 years of negotiating with the Canadian Government etc., I
was allowed a tax deduction out of it, but this was far, far less than
the collection would have fetched on the open (world) market (I was
required to sell it within Canada, as it contained Canadian specimens
and some specimens "unique to science" EH!). I did try outside the
country but I was refused an Export Permit because the Geological Survey
really wanted it. So I was stymied on that attempt. No real private
takers within Canada, and as space was limited (I was moving at the
time), off it finally went to the National Collection. Looking back
this was a really bad mistake on my part, but far too late to change
this now. I did have a couple of years to change my mind and get it
back, but of course the tax deduction would have gone. Also, as it was
now in Ottawa ,I would have to go and pick it up (no option on that).
Locked into this dilemma I gave in to the bureaucrats, and decided to
start a new collection, which would be smaller in scope. I also wouldn't
advertise this collection's existence as much. On the other hand, when
I'm dead, it is deeded , to UVic, which will keep the bureaucrats and
lawyers squabbling for years!

Once settled into a new abode, a few years back, I started up the
present collection (#2) which is slowly building, but it won't have some
of the really fabulous specimens the original had. A couple of my old
dealers, I bought from previously, were kind enough to donate material
to get me started again . I was also very surprised on the prices, of
even the most common specimens that were contained within the previous
collection. So my retirement "mad money" doesn't go as far now. Also,
if I were younger, like most of you guys and gals, I would be out
hunting for meteorites in the prairies. But long distance driving, for me,
these days is a medical no-no. I do keep an open eye for possible
meteorites around Victoria when walking the dog in parks etc.

Bit of a ramble I know, but I collect for the pleasure and for the
science (somewhat). So I guess, as Ed suggested, I am really, really
nuts! Known Ed for years. Unlike Ed, I'm more active in observing,
variable stars, comets and asteroids, rather than setting up dedicated
cameras for meteor and fireball observations.

Clears skies and dry deserts!

Chris. Spratt
Victoria, BC