[meteorite-list] The most expensive meteorite per gram?

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:29:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers,
?
This topic is very interesting and brings up a lot of good?points on value and what we see deem as the most expensive meteorites per gram or in some cases per milligram. Let it be told, with any new discovery the?value will be high. Good example, WI fall. The meteorite which wasn't alot to begin with did have a good high with sales on eBay?but dropped really fast. I think?it dropped lower than most new falls which is odd, but at any rate I guess what is missing with this fall and with a lot of falls is historic content.

Personal, I hold value?to?meteorites that have a historic connection to?meteoritics and the story behind them. I feel that those meteorites will retain value over?the course of collecting meteorites, from there rich history to their rarity and the impact those falls had with meteoritics science, as appose to other meteorites that are banking on rarity just because its rare and nothing more.
?
I have to say some people on the List made some good valid points about this topic. One point was about Lunar and?Martain meteorites. Yes I would say they have had a good presence in the meteorite community and per gram have made a big impact? when it comes?to money to be made. But?I think at the end of the day as more Lunar and Martain?meteorites keep being discovered the value?will keep?dropping till we get a fall, now that will change everything, but till then we will have to wait.
?
To my next point?which it can be seen and told by some and AL brought up, that DAG 400 at one time sold for a?pretty penny for the fact people in the meteorite?community thought that would be the only Lunar meteorite. I am glad I didn't pay 20G's pre gram?for that at the time, cause that 20Gs is?1G. But again value is put on meteorites for different reasons, some I find?odd, but again, who am I to say what value should be placed on meteorites. I just collect what I feel is personable to me?and the connection I can make with them and how that can relate back to?meteoritical?science.
?
SA
?
??
[meteorite-list] The most expensive meteorite per gram?
al mitt almitt at kconline.com
Tue Aug 10 22:05:48 EDT 2010

Hi Steve and all,

Lafayette is truly a rare specimen. Only 30 grams total in private hands. I
recently cut some of this material and still have small fragments that broke
off from what I was cutting. After I sell what little I have left, it will
be gone and nearly impossible to buy.

Anne,

If you pair up the lunar and martian meteorites, you will only find 60 plus
specimens that are unique of the lunar material and 80 plus of the martian.
These should sell well for you but in this speck collecting society after
collectors get their type specimen that is all they need. Better to have a
gram or two.

Alex,

Your exactly right on the lunars, over $35,000 to $40,000 for the first
material out. Blaine sold both DAG 262 and 400. I bought in with him on some
of that material and still have a pricy DAG 262 .1 th of a gram in my
collection that is a $3,000 piece. However at that time we had no idea that
other lunars would be found and we thought the material might be the only
material we might ever be able to own. I now have a fairly cost effective 7
gram lunar in my collection.

Besides the lack of type pieces as you pointed out (and was very true of
that time) little information on meteorites, few books, and contact was done
the old fashion way by mail for pieces, with occasional calls to dealers to
purchase specimens. Collectors these days have it much more easier with the
internet and ready access of material, books, and specimens. (getting off my
soap box now) :-)

--AL Mitterling