[meteorite-list] The most expensive meteorite per gram?

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:56:29 GMT

How about Lafayette? That is a rare one, impossible to obtain. I have a .87 gram piece:

http://meteorite-identification.tripod.com/LAFAYETTE.htm

Told it is worth about $10,000...

Any takers?

Steve Schoner
http://www.petroslides.com
IMCA 4470

Message: 16
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:26:46 EDT
From: Impactika at aol.com
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] The most expensive meteorite per gram?
To: raremeteorites at yahoo.com, meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com

Hello,

I know we have discussed that before, but Adam I still have to disagree
with you.

Yes, Martians and Lunars are still high priced now, but not at all as high
as they were, and it is still a novelty thing. Some day people will realize
that they are not rare any more. Just look at the Met Bulletin:
Lunar: Total 131, non-Antartica: 101
Martian: Total 92, non-Antartica: 70
And they don't sell, I still have a bunch of them, I have lowered the
prices twice in the past, and I would gladly get rid of them if I got a
reasonable offer.

On the other hand, look at the truly rare ones: Aubres, Orgueil (fragment,
not dust!), Lodran, Winona,..... yes, historical pieces, and nearly
impossible to get. And truly expensive.

My two non-lunar cents.

Anne M. Black