[meteorite-list] Radar observations of meteor events

From: Marc Fries <fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:17:39 -0700

Greetings

        So I've got a fair bit of practice at identifying falling meteorites in radar data now, and a great deal of radar data taking up space on my hard drive. I want this data used to actually collect meteorites, but there's no way I can cover all that ground myself. So I'm going to try something here, and see if I can put the power of the internet to use to get radar data into the hands of people who will actually use it to go pick up meteorites.

        I've started a blog where I will post radar data from prominent (and not so prominent) meteor events. I've started with Lorton, and I could use y'all's feedback on what you'd like to see in there. By that I mean - go have a look, and let me know what other data you'd like to see in the event writeup. Also, what other events would you like to see posted? I'll be entering a few more in the next week or so, as time permits.

        As much as I enjoy doing this, it does eat up a lot of my time. I've added a "tip jar" feature so that y'all can send me encouragement as you see fit. I think that strikes a nice middle ground between spending next to no time at all on this work and actually trying to charge people to use the information. I don't like either of those options, so let's see how this works. I will also have to strike a balance between dumping information on the internet and producing scientific publications, but I don't foresee that being too much of a problem.

        Have a look, and let me know what y'all think.

http://radarmeteorites.wordpress.com/

Cheers!
Marc Fries