[meteorite-list] Daytime fireball north of Phoenix

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

A friend contacted me earlier today (Aug 8) to tell me about the fireball she saw around 11am MST from Anthem, Az.

I asked her some basic questions and not unexpectedly her answers where not the most helpful.

She did say she was sitting by the pool at the Ironwood Club in Anthem, facing west. The object was a bright fireball that appeared at the top of her vision, "overhead" and continued to fall directly in front of her. As with most untrained observers she reported that it appeared to fall just over the hills to the west. To be more precise she said she watched it until it disappeared below the roof line of the club. She reports that it had "a tail", but did not answer my questions about a smoke train or the duration of the event. I don;t expect more detailed answers from her about the event.

However, her report might be the basis of investigation by others. I'd expect such a bright and apparently long lived event should probably have left an obvious radar train to the northwest of Phoenix. I haven't heard of any other reports, but my guess is there are probably other witnesses.

I'd suspect that a bright, long lived daytime event moving east to west at that time of day must surely have dropped meteorites, so this is probably something that deserves greater investigation by qualified hunters.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography