[meteorite-list] Gebel Kemil not found anywhere near contestedborder

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 18:23:24 +0200

Hi Jason, list.

>I have the feeling that we as a community might be taking advantage of a
>country's lesser-understood,

I don't have that feeling.

The USA are world-leading in meteorite science, they have high annual
national find rates and .... no export restrictions for meteorites.

It is remarkable to observe, that in none of the countries with the most
active meteorite research anybody postulates that strict laws regarding
ownership or export of meteorites shall be introduced or enforced.

So in this respect, I think indeed some education would be necessary in
these desert states, that they could profit from the experiences of the
meteoritically more advanced countries and that they could develop so a
better-understood.
Maybe MetSoc and especially the Italian team could help with that?

I would even go so far to say,
- look Egypt is quite the one and only Sahara-country, which didn't take
part in the great finds-explosion there of the recent 15 years.
Egypt has find rates like small green wet desert-free Germany.
-
I would even think that an experiment there could make much sense:
to liberalize the meteorite regulations there and to wait, what will happen
then!

Ideal testing ground there, cause what shall they loose, if nothing was
there before?

Best!
Martin

PS: What was in the bottle, before they emptied it?
    May be that could give a plausible explanation, why they couldn't find
it later anymore ;-)