[meteorite-list] List is Quiet

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 15:35:08 -0500

It's The Dog Days of Summer. Nothing happens
during the Dog Days of Summer. In the news
business, it's called The Silly Season, when you
run UFO stories because nothing is happening.
Everyone (almost) has left Paris or soon will. In
Washington, the Congress will go home.

It's too hot to do anything.

It is the heliacal rising of Sirius, the Dog Star,
which achieved conjunction with the Sun on
July 31, but won't be briefly visible on the eastern
horizon at dawn until August 7th or so. Hence,
the Dog Days.

It was the basis of the Egyptian calendar, for the
appearance of Sirius marked the start of the rising
of the Nile to flood. Anciently, the heliacal rising of
Sirius at that time and latitude happened on July 23
every year.

Sterling K. Webb