[meteorite-list] Wisconsin Prices

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:00:26 -0700

You don't seem to understand; I don't care about the price; $60/g is
$60/g, and I wouldn't buy any slices for $10/g. Well, at that price,
I might get some to resell, but I wouldn't keep them in the collection
-- it's not what I collect. Prices on this fall will...fall, as they
always do, and they'll likely settle in the $20/g range, as they
usually do.
Prices in the initial few weeks to months are always irrationally high
- that's something I've come to accept over the past few years.

You're simply advocating collectors' right to a piece of the fall,
which I sympathize with to an extent - yes, I would like a piece too.
But I wouldn't cut up a beautiful 300g stone to accomplish that goal.

What I'm peeved about is the idea that there are people here who
"love" meteorites and yet who see nothing wrong with cutting a
beautiful stone up.

They will ask for $60/g for their "dream" stone, and claim that it's
priceless in the next email.

There's a reason the Louvre isn't taking a pair of shears to the Mona
Lisa, and asking $1million/cm^2.
Yeah, they'd get more than it's "worth" ($4 billion, 81 million at
that price per square centimeter. Ok, maybe it's worth more than
that. It doesn't lessen the relevance of the analogy.).
...But all you'd have to show for it are a bunch of little bits
indistinguishable from all of the others.
$500/g, $60/g, $0.50/g, it's all the same.
Little slices of rock from a stone that used to be beautiful.
They're worth nothing to me.

Jeff titled his recent movie "The Wonder of Meteorites." Perhaps we
should look at them with a little more wonder, and a little less
"gotta catch 'em all" mentality. Unless I'm lucky enough to head over
to WI in a month or so with my dad and we happen to find a stone, I
doubt I'll ever own one.

And I'm fine with that.

Regards,
Jason