[meteorite-list] What else could have hit Venus?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:28:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sterling -

Short answer: Try a comet.

I am suspicious of the crater counts based on the Apollo samples data, as the Moon is part of a two body system, the Moon and the Earth. It is very true that the money for crater counting has been too low; even the money for re-processing earlier planetary surface imagery has been too low. We do have one data set right at hand, Earth craters, but guess what - the money for studying them has been too low as well. The possible Shiva crater demonstrates this all too well.

We need to know exactly what hit when. For the last 13,000 years or so, it has been comet fragments. Whether this represents the long term trend I do not know, but I believe Shoemaker may have had it right.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas