[meteorite-list] Having fun with an IMB and the Neophot

From: Starsinthedirt at aol.com <Starsinthedirt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:27:23 EDT

Hi list, It has been a while since I have written an article for
Meteorite Times (John is doing a great job with Micro Visions!). Paul still hosts
my micrograph gallery. I think it is officially hosted by The Meteorite
Exchange and Meteorite Times.

Anyway, we just got up a cool addition. It is a set of micrographs taken
in reflected light of an unclassified IMB. There really are some
interesting images. Iron flecks floating in melt glass, desert varnish like you
have never thought it could look like and a metal sulfide structure that
resembles a barred chondrule (quite unlike any thing I have seen before).

The link is: http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/articles/nwa-imb/

Also, if you have not looked at the JaH 073 set I recently posted, it is
also in high mag reflected light.

Trust me, these images are unlike the cross polarized light pass through
thin section images most common to the meteorite world. This technique
gives a look at what the material actually looks like way up close.

Thanks for looking and please let me know what you think.

Tom Phillips