[meteorite-list] Question Regarding NWA Irons

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 00:51:56 -0700

Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone might have some information regarding
something of an oddity that I came across recently.
It's an NWA iron, but...it's definitely a piece of shrapnel. I know -
many iron falls have shrapnel-esque shapes - so it's not *that*
unusual.
But this is a fragment of what looks to be a crater-forming iron -- see below:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MeteoriteKid/Irons#5460230944977751650

http://picasaweb.google.com/MeteoriteKid/Irons#5460230950893661314

As you can see, this iron's shape is very different from the typical
crystal-plane or shear fractures (as seen on Sikhote-Alin, ZIz, and
Taza) that suggest atmospheric breaks.
So, I'm curious to know if anyone else has come across any similar
specimens, or has heard anything about a new (likely small) explosion
crater having been found somewhere in NWA.
If this specimen is a meteorite (and I think it is), there's almost
undoubtedly a crater out there somewhere...
Regards, Thanks,
Jason