[meteorite-list] Fireballs & Known Meteor Showers

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:31:30 -0700 (MST)

Hi Phil, Chris, Sterling, and Carl (et al.):

One of the first articles (newscasts??) mentioned the Gamma shower which
made no sense, but reminded me of a talk I gave a few years ago about the
sources of meteor showers. I found the following on Wikipedia:

Gamma Virginids
The North and South Gamma Virginids are a slow-moving minor meteor shower
stream, although the May Gamma Virginids and Daytime Gamma Virginids are
faster-moving. The source of the North and South Gamma Virginid streams
are thought to be 2002 FC and 2003 BD44, respectively. It usually spans
from April 5 to April 21, peaking on April 14 and April 15, with less than
five meteors per hour. It was first discovered in 1895.

I know nothing about the spectral classes of either asteroid, or even if
they have been observed in the last 7-8 years (need to check this out).
But, if we are talking about possible asteroidal debris from an impact
rather than an extinct comet, who knows.

Both have well-determined orbits from what I can tell. 143404 (2003 BD44)
was last observed in November and there have been nearly 300 observations
of it since it was first discovered in 1981 (probably a prediscovery
detection). It is an Apollo asteroid that is considered to be a
"Potentially Hazardous Asteroid" and has a highly elliptical orbit
(e=0.60). 2002 FC is also listed as a Potentially Hazardous Asteroid, has
been observed over 200 times since its discovery and seems to have been a
radar target! It also has a highly elliptical orbit (e=0.66). They do not
seem to be at all related, based on their orbital elements (there was
hope): the mean distance of 2002 FC is toward the outer part of the
asteroid belt while 2003 BD44 has a mean distance at the inner part of the
belt.

Are either of these extinct comets? Who knows? I do not know much more
about them (size, albedo, etc.).

Larry