[meteorite-list] Signal Mountain (IVA), Baja California

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 06:57:25 -0700 (PDT)

Graham,
Here s a link to a Youtube video showing what I described:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeB-e3yBIho&feature=related
Regards, Bob V.

---- ensoramanda at ntlworld.com wrote:

Looks like similar rockfalls and dust clouds on Mars too..!

amazing shot...

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_016423_2640

---- Robert Verish wrote:
 On Easter Sunday afternoon Moni Waiblinger and myself were hiking in the Yuha Desert near Ocotillo (just north of the US-Mexican Border) when the M~7.1 earthquake struck south of Mexicali. You couldn t be any closer to the epicenter and still be in the US. Needless to say, this was the strongest earthquake that I ve experienced.

 But what I saw AFTER the quake was equally amazing. Clouds of dust were rising up from most of the canyons in the nearby mountains, the result of rock-falls and possible landslides. The mountain to the south of us in Baja (which I call Signal Mountain ) was covered in a cloud of dust. Images of this phenomenon were shown on the local San Diego TV News stations (still looking for a link of this image - my images were too obscured by dust).

 I m wondering where the Signal Mountain iron meteorite was actually found, and whether these recent rock falls might possibly unearth additional masses of this iron? -- Bob V.