[meteorite-list] golden iron color and Widmanstätten" patterns

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:43:42 -0400

Jason,
Nice try but, it seems obvious that you have no idea how classifications work.
If you recall in a recent post by Bernd. It was made perfectly clear that what determines a class has more to do with the O-isotopes than the actual lithology or chemistry of the rock.
Having cleared that up it does leave open the possibility that this is a Winonaite or a meso or pallesite for that matter.
The only way to be sure is to have it classified. And have the O-isotopes checked in order to plot against other meteorites .
But please don't belittle peoples guesses with false facts.
I'm sorry but, it has been established that Winonaites can have very little or a lot of metal and there is no rule that says that the silicates have to be recognized by Jason in order to be there. They may be hiding under the metal. The point is that this has a very unusual look and it helps all of us learn by thinking about it. And it's fun.
I think you saying; [It's a pretty coating of desert varnish on a (probably naturally) sandblasted iron.] is a bit of an oxymoron. How can it have desert varnish if it is wind blown and sand blasted?
Nobody cares who is right here. they are just asking questions and trying to get answers. Your guesses may turn out to be right but, you cannot know that quite yet.
Playing the odds, I like what Bernd thinks.
So, rather than end your opinion with a "conclusion" , why not end it with a question mark like other (nice) people do?
Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax