[meteorite-list] OT eBay (was AD Time to get back to work)

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:06:54 -0400

Hi Mike,

Oh, did I ? Like Walmart/Costco, ExxonMobil/Shell, General Motors/Ford,
General Electric/Philips, HP/Dell, Home Depot/Lowe's, Boeing/Airbus,
Motorola/Nokia don't have viable competitors, if they are not on the
rocks themselves?

Here is the Fortune 500 list:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2008/full_list/

I just went through the Fortune 100 companies. Only #44 comes close to
having no significant competitor and a grip on its customer base that
looks, smells and tastes like a monopoly to all involved. It's
Microsoft, with 93% OS market share and 67% market share for web
browsers. It was fined a few billion dollars, you might recall. eBay
knows its days are limited in an efficient market, that is why their
future as PayPal is being shoved down ("leveraged") everyone's throat
and they are being anti-competitive with Google, etc. Then the only
other companies that fit the bill are regional utility companies -
heavily government regulated. EBay is just as much a utility as your
Internet and phone lines. Lucky for us they are greedy which is already
leading to losses in China, Japan, and even in the home market.

The Reserve Bank of Australia had it right:

"Clearly, the public benefits are exaggerated or illusory?and will be
outweighed by those anti-competitive effects as competition will be
restricted, innovation and development will be constrained, new entry
will be discouraged, and PayPal will=2
0be able to increase fees and
charges to eBay users. It is also ironic that a site that prides itself
on providing its users with the opportunity of shopping around for the
best deals and prices, wishes to mandate that its users must use eBay?s
own payment service and pay whatever fees and charges PayPal chooses to
levy,?

But then again, the Australians sold New Zealand on eBay ...

For eBay, only Taobao (Chinese), Amazon and Yahoo seem to have a
chance. Currently eBay is estimated to have 95% of the online auctions
market an the sellers are doing all the work. 'Nuff Said!

BTW 33% off listing fees until October 11 on eBay ... watch out for the
stampede :-) ... time to catch a falling star.com

Best wishes,
Doug