[meteorite-list] OT - Gold Hoard Found in England

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:15:20 -0500

Dean,

The old English Common Law is that a Tresure Trove is
buried gold or silver that was being hidden or "banked"
and was meant to be recovered later and is presumed to
be so old that the owner and any known desecendents are
dead. It becomes the property of the Crown, just as
abandoned bank accounts become the property of the
state unless claimed by the owner or an heir. Just
finding it is not enough to claim it. (Scotland and Wales
have their own common law provisions.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_trove#United_Kingdom
details the Treasure Act of 1996, which generously broadens
and re-defines legal "treasure" as the property of the Crown.
If the treasure is to be transferred to a museum (as this will)
the Secretary of State is "required to determine whether a
reward should be paid by the museum before the transfer to
the finder or any other person involved in the finding of the
treasure, the occupier of the land at the time of the find, or
any person who had an interest in the land at the time of the
find or has had such an interest at any time since then. If the
Secretary of State determines that a reward should be paid,
he or she must also determine the market value of the treasure
(assisted by the Treasure Valuation Committee), the amount
of the reward (which cannot exceed the market value), to whom
the reward should be paid and, if more than one person should
be paid, how much each person should receive."

For example, the huge find at Sutton Hoo was NOT a treasure
trove because there was no intention to recover it -- they were
grave goods. In March 1973, a hoard of 7,811 Roman coins was
found buried in a field at Coleby in Lincolnshire. It was made
up of antoniniani believed to have been minted between 253
and 281 A.D. The Court of Appeal of England and Wales held
in the 1981 case of Attorney-General of the Duchy of Lancaster
v. G.E. Overton (Farms) Ltd. that the hoard was not treasure
trove as the coins did not have a substantial silver content.
Thus, it belonged to the owner of the field... (Note: the
antoniniani was originally a silver coin valued at two denarii
but with only 1.5 denarii worth of silver in it; the rest was
bronze. It was "inflation money." The Empire kept adding more
bronze in place of silver until it was worthless. But if you find
7800 of 'em, let me know.)

One hopes that the reward intentions of the Crown are
generous, but there seem to be no guarantees in the law.
There don't seem to be bones with this "treasure," so the
finders can't argue that it was, like Sutton Hoo, grave goods.
It seems to be a clear-cut case of "hoard." I suspect the
general elation over the find will incline government to
reward the finders. Failure to do so would incline future
finders to loot sites and that's the last thing they want.
On the black market, this find would be evaluated at a
worth of tens of millions.

Sterling K. Webb