[meteorite-list] AD -Another heads up/ K-T Boundary material

From: Carl 's <carloselguapo1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 06:51:51 -0700

Hi,

I did some searching online for some K-T Boundary material since I'm too lazy to go looking for the stuff myself. I was inspired by the recent conversations on the Chicxulub asteroid here. I thought it would nicely complement my meteorite collection and would be cool to look at when related programs on TV airs. I found this:

http://www.mountain-skies.org/newitems.htm

I got mine yesterday. I opted for the smaller size specimen for $10 plus shipping. Shipping cost was a bit high at nearly $7 for 1st class (w/delivery confirmation), but being a non profit organization I think I can deal with that. Shipping was pretty quick as I ordered on Thursday and received it the following Monday. My piece weighs 0.3g and measures 12mm X 14mm X 1mm and fits nicely in a round 1 3/4" gem jar. It's a bit friable since little crumbs broke off when I clumsily picked it up off my scale. There is no data (or COA) to go with it, only that it's from Alberta, Canada and that's from their website. The piece is black, granular with some grayish material (looks like concrete) embedded in it. Using a 30X loop, I can see tiny, shiny bits of, what I think is metal.

I saw NEMS also has some specimens from different localities for sale but I don't plan to buy anymore of this material so wont be doing a write up on them anytime soon.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Mountain-Skies nor do I know anyone there, though it's quite possible some members are also members of this list.

Carl