[meteorite-list] Shivalingams impactites?

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:53:55 -0700

True. Quartz is a mineral, and can be deposited in any number of ways.
In this case, based on gross physical appearance, I'd say the shiva
lingams are likely made of a type of jasper, but I'm not qualified to
tell. Given the fact that they're definitely more coarse-grained than
other varieties like chalcedony and agate, I'm not even sure
'cryptocrystalline is the correct way to describe them - perhaps
someone else who has a background in geology/mineralogy and is
familiar with shiva lingams can comment here.
The layering that can be seen in them is reminiscent of banded
claystones; that's why I said sedimentary, but I could well be wrong.
Jason

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Jerry Flaherty <grf2 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Quartz ain't sedimentary

>>> Regards,