[meteorite-list] What is and isn't a Widmanstatten Pattern was Cooling rates

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:22:06 -0400

I think there are some misconceptions here, although this is not my
specialty. Most of the metallic minerals in iron meteorites are
described as "alloys" in that they are composed of various metals
combined together. These alloys have specific structures, e.g., the
metal atoms in kamacite are arranged in a body-centered cubic structure
and those in taenite are face-centered cubic. The minerals Kamacite and
taenite are solid solutions of mainly Fe and Ni which can have a range
of compositions without altering the basic structure. Tetrataenite is
another alloy, but this time with a fixed composition (FeNi) and an
ordered structure.

Formation of the Widmanstatten structure is pretty well understood. It
does not happen as the metal cools from the liquid state and
solidifies. That process leads to the formation of just taenite. Only
when the alloy cools to much lower temperature, after it is completely
solid, can the Widmanstatten pattern form. High pressures are not
involved. Goldstein and coworkers have shown that the process is
controlled by the Fe-Ni-P phase diagram. Depending on the exact
composition of the alloy, a variety of phase transformations take place
over a range of temperatures, ultimately leading to the formation of
kamacite and taenite. Composition and cooling rate play roles in
determining in the structures we now observe. You can read about it in:
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/2005M%26PS...40..239Y

jeff

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383