[meteorite-list] Denver Show

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 02:19:42 -0400

Dear List,
Let me try to give a little view of what I have seen here ... The
dealers I've bumped into seem to have varying results, though
definitely not a stellar Denver this time. This is all put into
perspective, when I spoke with a lot of the mineral dealers who will
not be lucky enough to cover expenses. Fred Hall had a nice setup and
Blaine's room was as cheerful as ever. Hans and his entourage had a
pile of meteorite people pouring out last time I passed there and other
friendly meteorite folks were doing business in the parking lot. Jose
of Rock Gems brought his lovely wife to Denver and kindly invited me
over to join them for lunch in spectacular weather. Generally the show
seems rather light on material, and spread out - but there are a few
interesting things out there if you looked hard enough that were nice
surprises. The get together sponsored by COMETS was nice last night and
the buyers and sellers were all kind and generous. Twink Monrad and her
host were very kind as usual, and Larry Sloan was in friendly to hang
with. I finally got a little mnemonic to know which Jensen is which on
sight (a big accomplishment for me and I am embarrassed, also finally
got all the Larry last names right after making a fool of myself
twisting names forever - I think I got it anyway. Some nice Denver
meteorite folk you just get to meet here - one collecting for over 20
years ...=2
0and Fred Olson a real kind host to lend his great warehouse
for meteorite activities. Saw some big slices of Fukang that were
reasonably priced. Matt Morgan was around having a laid back time.
Keith & Dana Jenkersen had a great selection of irons to show. Mike
Farmer, Jim Strope, Robert Ward and Shauna showed up today with the
usual high energy. Mike seemed to be smiling about his latest adventure
but wouldn't spill the beans even after eating Mexican food. Elsewhere,
at the show, I passed on a Benguerir since I didn't have any money, but
would have like to own at a reasonable price - hadn't seen that fall in
a while. The creme of Sikhote individuals was hard to find unless they
were gone before I arrived (a distinct possibility). Isheyevo made a
brief but surprise appearance... Elsewhere a mouthwatering Tamdakht
mostly crusted multi-kilo that made the 1.3 kg 80% monolithic metal
melted veined crusted one I am interviewing potential new homes for
feel oddly small - quite a remarkable accomplishment considering the
rarity material. (There are probably less than 10 specimens existing
 from everything I know, that are not Humpty Dumpty specimens and the
prices are to pounce on). Some Martian stuff was reasonably priced by a
friendly Blue-nomad dude hanging out by the pool. I passed on the $800
jumbo Martian thin section with a chuckle. There seemed to be a lot
more socializing than hard core Tucson dealing going o
n. But the show
did seem empty at times. One guy had a 3.5 kilo gibeon sphere he was
bowling down the hall in front of our room and he didn't knock anyone
down after two tries. One thing most have been happy with is the
beautiful weather. My roommates visited a mountain paradise yesterday
but eventually caught their breath and found their way home. Lots more
people hanging out doing some low key shopping like Darryl Pitt who put
a nice historical Japanese meteorite into the auction. I am trying to
remember everyone but names are not my specialty unless they are
meteorite localities which seem unforgettable after hearing one time -
why is this? A lot of people seem to have meteorite hunting expeditions
planed at every point of the compass after leaving from Denver, and I
don-t just mean the USA. Good luck to everyone, and thanks to those who
made the efforts to come here and share their stuff and smiles.

Best wishes,
Doug