[meteorite-list] Chicxulub Asteroid

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:07:19 -0600

The tricky bit is how you define a "minimum size black hole". If you mean
minimum in terms of the fundamental physics, such a black hole could have
been orbiting inside the Earth since the Solar System formed, and it still
would not have consumed enough material to make its presence known. If you
mean minimum in terms of fundamental physics, but make the thing big enough
to be stable (to consume material faster than it can evaporate)... I don't
now how long that would take to consume Earth. And if you mean minimum in
terms of how most theory (and all observation) mean it- on the order of a
stellar mass- well, clearly things will get real bad, real fast if one
intersects the Earth, no matter how fast or slow it's going.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com