[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day -September14, 2009

From: Sean T. Murray <stm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:28:24 -0400

Could this simply be stains from the iron leaching into the wood over time?
While hunting, I've seen similar black stains around nails that have been in
boards and trees for a long time in old hunter's deer stands. I've also
seen it a million times in old re-milled lumber where you can see the
original holes from old iron nails - there is usually a black stain around
each hole.

Regardless, it is agreed that this picture is very cool, and an excellent
collection piece.

Sean.