[meteorite-list] Meteorite Postcards

From: Phil Whitmer <prairiecactus_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 00:13:03 -0400

Hey Mike,

I think the postcards are a great idea! You're taking a very good approach
to this hunt. I for one say if there are meteorites to be found in this
area, you'll find 'em! The only thing I would add to the description would
be to look for tiny metal flecks and small circular rounded bumps
(chondrules). I know it's probably too late for major changes, but you
might want to add a bit of biographical information, about your historic
photo and how you're now on an epic quest to recover the fall. Adds some
human interest to the story, might make people want to get more involved.

I know you're downplaying the economic side of it, you obviously aren't
doing this as a money making venture. It's a touchy subject, but moolah is
a big motivator, look at all the stones it brought out of NWA. I guess you
said they're valuable, that should be enough. I'm just guessing but this
seems to be a smaller fall than West. Otherwise a stone or two would have
been found by now you'd think. West initially went for over 140 a gram, then
leveled off at 70. That kind of incentive would have me walking corn fields
from sunup to sundown. (Nothing compared to the thrill of the hunt, though.)
Offering a reward is sort of vulgar, but it might get results. I know this
is a controversial matter and I'm not a dealer or a hunter (been on two
hunts, an extensive one for the Plymouth Meteorite and not so extensive one
for the Rochester Meteorite), so I can't say one way or another.

OK, Bird-in-hand, Intercourse, Bareville, it sounds like a bunch of
sophomores made up those names!

Now, if you just spoke High German!,

Phil Whitmer