[meteorite-list] Meteorite Postcards

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:19:12 -0400

Dear List,

I plan on sending out close to 2,000 of these post cards next week to
property owners with 10 or more acres in the 6 zip codes that include
and surround the Lancaster County search area. Within the last few
days I have started to get more meteorite found reports. The leads
that I have followed up with so far have turned out to be slag. To a
meteorite novice, slag really does look like a meteorite or what you
would think a meteorite would look like if you had never seen one
before. Slag is black, often magnetic and burnt. It is easy to
mistakenly think a piece of slag could be a meteorite if you don't
know what you are looking for.

With this post card I hope to 1) Raise awareness and excitement with a
broad number of residents that extend beyond our refined search area.
2) Give the residents an informational and visual guide to help them
identify a meteorite 3) Let them know about slag and how to identify
it (in an effort to cut down on false reports)

Here is the front of the card:

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/meteor-postcard-front.jpg

Here is the back of the card:

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/meteor-postcard-back.jpg

I plan on sending these out early next week. Please let me know if you
have any comments, criticism or suggestions before they hit the mail.

Thanks,

Mike Hankey
http://www.mikesastrophotos.com