[meteorite-list] searching for the correct terminology

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:21:50 -0600

Spallation might be a specific way that the fusion crust could be removed
(such as by tumbling in a stream), but it isn't very general. I'd use the
same term that geologists use for any sort of surface modified by natural
forces: weathering. If there's something unusual about the mechanism, you
can always add more detail, such as "the fusion crust has been selectively
chipped from its substrate by weathering processes".

For a meteorite that no longer has a fusion crust, I think the clearest
description would be "shows no remaining fusion crust".

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com