[meteorite-list] Chondritic parent bodies: Clarification

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:29:27 -0400

Yes, it's the same idea. Usually, the L(LL) notation is used for highly
unequilibrated (petrologic type type 3.0-3.4) ordinary chondrites.
I've been studying these things for decades and I still don't know of
any way to distinguish a low type L from LL chondrite using an optical
microscope, SEM, or electron microprobe. Even O isotopes don't always
tell you. You have to do bulk chemistry, which is rarely done anymore
on OCs, and certainly not in the initial classification.

Take, for example, one that I've worked on: NWA 1756. It is classified
as LL3.10. In my opinion it could just as easily be an L3.10, as nobody
(to my knowledge) has done the chemistry to provide a definitive answer.
To me, such meteorites are all uncertain. If I was the original
classifier of this meteorite and I thought the properties looked more
LL-like, I'd have called it LL(L). If I was totally unsure, I'd have
called it L/LL. The 3.10 pet-type, on the other hand, is independent of
chemical group.

This brings up one last issue. If NWA 1756 could be called L/LL because
a classifier cannot tell which it is, but Bjurb?le is called L/LL
because it is truly intermediate, then this is two completely different
uses of the same symbol. John Wasson and I want to propose a new
nomenclature: Bjurb?le should be changed to L^LL4, where the caret
indicates known intermediate properties. One day we'll get around to
proposing it.

Jeff G.

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383