[meteorite-list] Chondritic parent bodies

From: Richard Kowalski <kowalski_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:48:51 -0700

This paper in Astronomy & Astrophysics may be of interest:

http://tinyurl.com/laupyx

It discusses the identification of several new, very young asteroid
families called Datura, Emilkowalski, 1992YC2, and Lucascavin clusters.

These objects are the largest members of these new families and are
450+/-50 thousand years (ky), 220+/-30 ky, 50-250 ky, and 200-600 ky
old, respectively.

As you see, the spectrum of Datura and H4 chondrites are extremely similar.

(A personal comment, Emilkowalski is the sole mainbelt asteroid that I
discovered from my backyard observatory when I was an amateur and is
named for my late father)

--
Richard Kowalski
Catalina Sky Survey