[meteorite-list] Chondritic parent bodies

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:04:43 -0400

Hi, Jeff,

Thanks for your response. I always look forward to learning something from
your posts to the list, and below I'm reminded of the dating of the L and H
shock events. Do you recall such a date for amphoterites by chance?

I followed up my question with a rather clear and somewhat self-depricating
note...last night and well before your response this morning. Assuming you
may have missed it, I explained that I'd picked this notion up on the list
but couldn't recall when or from whom, etc. I either misread a post or the
post was just simply wrong. And it was late last night, so my question
wasn't crafted very well either...obviously.

Svend beat me to the punch, but there are obviously exceptions and even some
questions to the existing definition. Even your mention below that "at
least many of them came from a single parent body" prompts some interesting
questions in my mind. Without the context and foundation of having spent a
few decades as a professional meteoriticist, as I referenced before in the
thought re: MAPS, it is not always easy for an general enthusiast like me to
understand where the gray areas are. And as people like you thankfully
continue to rapidly raise the bar of knowledge, I've learned to accept that
a lot of iron clad definitions aren't so iron clad.

All best,

Dave