[meteorite-list] Space Ice

From: Steve Dunklee <sdunklee72520_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 02:19:49 -0700 (PDT)

why didnt you just say water boils away to a gas in a vaccume? and it would take an extremely large object to have the gravity necessary to hold water as ice ? even one molcular weight of water or 18 grams would ocupy a volume of 22.4 liters or 2.24 meters. or is it .224 meters? Anyway it would not be a solid ice ball. think 22.4 one liter bottles Avagodros number of molecules. One pound of ice or about 454 grams would be a slush ball over ten meters across.

KE=1/2mv^2
m - mass in slugs
v= velocity in feet per second
32.174 pounds = 1 slug

1 pound of ice hitting the atmosphere would have the following energy at 17 k miles per hour.
  1/2 [1/32.174(17kmph*5280feet per mile*60 minutes per hour*60 minutes per second)^2]

please excuse my dear aunte Sally

1/2 [.o3108 slugs(17kmph x 5280 f/mile x 3600 seconds/hour)^2]
1/2[.03108 slugs(89,760k feet per hour x 3600 seconds/hour)^2]
1/2[.03108 slugs(323,136,000 feet per second)^2]
1/2[.03108 slugs(1.04416x 10^17)]
1/2[3.245x10^15]
= 1.6x10^15 foot lbs of energy.

 or plenty enough energy to make a Tunguska like event with no crater.

solid ice chunks hitting the ground, or other objects either fell off an airplane or were ice balls suspended in the atmosphere like hail. if a tornado can pick up an 80k lb 18 wheeler I see no reason why a 100lb chunk of ice could not be held in the air by updrafts in the upper atmosphere.
   have a great day
Steve