[meteorite-list] Alien life - we are the proof

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:40:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric -

Several times during our evolution we were nearly wiped out by impacts.
It was very close, and unfortunately due to inaction in detection budgets it is still too close to call.

If other solar systems have accretion mechanics similar to ours, and there is no reason to assert otherwise, this factor must play a real role in Drake equation estimates. If other intelligent beings have bureaucrats as stupid as ours, and there is no reason to think anything else, then this must play a role in Drake equation estimates as well.

Based on our sample of one, we can forget about searching for extra terrestrial intelligence (SETI), and should instead be concentrating our efforts on the search for extra-terrestrial stupidity (SETS).

"I saw Elvis on a UFO,
sitting there with Howard Hughes...
I saw Elvis on a UFO,
wearing those blue suede shoes..."

Maybe what we need is more UFOs and fewer bolides, given all the NWA material on the market...

Good hunting, all
Ed
(Catching up with old mail)