[meteorite-list] Detectability

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 14:44:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Richard -

Thanks for the information, and congratulations on TC3.

I make that 320,000 miles something like 2 hours if it had of been on a direct intercept orbit. I am assuming you had nearly perfect sky conditions as well at your observatory.

I think this one is going to turn into photons in a bucket and sky conditions.

The items of interest are cometessimals, the smallest around 30 meters with 5 kilton impact force by my current estimate, with 2 joined cometissimals around 60 meters and 15 megatons of impact force. (But I have been wrong before, and reserve the right to be wrong in the future.)

No one in NASA seems to know what happened to the CAPS analysis. It is probably sitting on a shelf somewhere with the Apollo 11 Moon walk slowscan tapes.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas