[meteorite-list] Fireball: Huge Explosion Over Ireland

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 13:52:01 -0600

Eric, and List,
Mr. Moore was quoted as saying: "If it's brighter than the full moon
then there's a chance that part of it survived and landed," he said.

I'm not sold on the idea that size(read that same as brightness in
this report) is the most relative factor in survival. I tend to think
speed and angle of entry play the bigger role in how fast a stone
burns up. Wouldn't a small meteor have the same chance, as a big
meteor given the right speed and angle of entry? A small, say 1"
meteor, may only burn for about 1/4 to 1/2 second versus a football
size may burn for 5 seconds or longer.
Mike in CO